Sunday, May 2, 2010

First Blog Post...ever

I am very excited to announce that I am done with school until the summer session begins in June! Tonight I began brainstorming summer project ideas (I do not cope well with down time). One of my projects is this cooking blog. Over the past year I have developed a strong passion for cooking. I love cooking with healthy ingredients - fruits, vegetables, fish, poultry, herbs, spices, and olive oil. Although my diet is restricted by a gluten, dairy, soy and corn intolerance, I enjoy making desserts and baked goodies for my family - even if I cannot eat them. I will be posting recipes that I cook for my family throughout the week.

Tonight for supper I cooked a new recipe and an old favorite. The recipes are as follows:

Caramelized Peppers and Onions with Shrimp
from the Complete Gluten Free Cookbook



  • 2 tbs. EVOO
  • 1 1/2 lbs. of large white raw shrimp
  • 3 bell peppers, sliced into thin strips (I used one red and 2 green.)
  • 3 cloves of garlic
  • 2 Vidalia or sweet onions, thinly sliced
  • 1 tsp of honey
  • 1 tbs. dried parsley
  • 1 tsp. dried oregano
  • 1/4 c. of balsamic vinegar
  • 3/4 tsp. kosher salt
  • 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
  • hot cooked brown rice
  1. In a large nonstick skillet (12-in.), heat 1 tbs. EVOO over medium heat. Add shrimp and cook for 3 minutes, flipping once. Remove shrimp from skillet and keep warm.
  2. Heat remaining 1 tbs. of EVOO over medium heat. Add honey, peppers, garlic, & onions; reduce heat to low, cover & cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 to 25 minutes, or until tender and golden brown.
  3. Add parsley, oregano, vinegar, salt, pepper, and shrimp to the pepper mixture. Cook uncovered on low for 5 minutes. Serve over brown rice. Makes 4 servings.

Sauteed Brussel Sprouts in White Wine


  • 1 lb. brussel sprouts (I used frozen and defrosted them.)
  • 1 tbs. EVOO
  • 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
  • 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
  • 1 tbs. medium dry white wine
  • 1 tbs. lemon juice
  1. Halve sprouts
  2. In large cast iron skillet heat EVOO over medium high heat. Saute sprouts until they begin to turn golden brown (4 to 6 minutes), then add salt, pepper, wine and lemon juice. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 4 minutes. Serves 4.
The completed meal...




Random facts: I am obsessed with the Food Network (some of my favorites include Ina Garten, Giada De Laurentiis, and Rachael Ray). I would buy the entire Rachael Ray cookware line if I could afford it. I collect aprons.
Print this post

1 comment:

  1. I love the blog. Maybe I can get some ideas from you. We (more me than the hubby) are doing the South Beach Diet and I am running out of idea. See ya in about a month!!

    Your cousin,
    Courtney

    ReplyDelete