Saturday, May 11, 2013

J.T.’s Brownies


.


     I have been on a brief hiatus from my blog, but I am trying to get back into the swing of things.  It dawned on me earlier today that I don’t have to take a picture of every single step of a recipe.  Editing pictures, styling food, and trying to make your blog look halfway decent for readers (or reader...thanks Mama!) is time consuming.  A picture of the finished product should suffice as a blog post, so that is my new strategy.  
     My latest obsession is the farmers market.  For months I have been talking about doing a new experiment, where we only eat the vegetables that come from the market.  This forces us to eat local, try new things, and live by the seasons.  For example, right now greens are in season - collards, mustard greens, bok choy, swiss chard, and on and on.  J.T. and I are eating vegetables we have never tasted.  I am sick of washing greens, but the summer crops will be in soon.  Vegetables really do have more flavor when they are eaten in season.  We still do our weekly trip to Publix for milk, oats, cereal, bananas, and a few other pantry staples, but meat, pork, eggs, and vegetables are all purchased at the market.  Now, a little bit about these brownies.
     It is no secret that my husband loves desserts - especially anything topped with ice cream.  These brownies have been a regular staple in our freezer over the last year.  I originally stumbled across this recipe while looking for a dessert that required very few ingredients and was inexpensive to make.  Over the years, I have adapted it to better fit our real food diet. I am in no way proclaiming that these brownies are healthy - they do have over a cup of sugar in them.  I was able to swap all-purpose flour for white whole wheat flour, which does qualify for making them a bit more nutritional.  Butter or coconut oil can be used interchangeably in this recipe, so if you do not have coconut oil, use butter.  Once again, I love that these brownies can be frozen.  Simply individually wrap them in saran wrap and place in a freezer safe Ziploc bag.  I like a fully stocked freezer, see...

DSC08732

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup cocoa powder plus 1 ½ tablespoons
  • ½ cup coconut oil plus 3 ½ tablespoons
  • 1 cups pure cane sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • ½ teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • cup whole white wheat flour


Directions
  1. Grease a 9 x 9 inch square baking pan with coconut oil and preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  
  2. In a medium sized bowl, stir together the cocoa powder and coconut oil.  Stir in the sugar, eggs, kosher salt, and vanilla.  Very slowly stir in the flour until all the ingredients are incorporated together.  The batter will be fairly thick.  Spread the batter into the prepared baking pan.  Bake for 22 to 25 minutes.  I always err on the side of under baked brownies.  Let the brownies cool slightly in the pan before cutting into squares and removing to a wire rack to cool completely.  Yields 9 large brownies or 16 small (for J.T. it makes 9).  These brownies can be individually wrapped and frozen.  Reheat in the microwave for 30 seconds.  
Print this post

No comments:

Post a Comment