Saturday, December 22, 2012

Gluten-Free Apple Cinnamon Muffins

DSC07422


     Last Friday, I was at the doctor for this horrible sickness that still lingers around in my body.  While I am doing better, my head is still stuffy and my nose is still runny.  My cough has become less frequent and food is starting to become a tad more appetizing.  This past Wednesday, I started to feel better for the first time.  This led me to believe I was ready to get back to normal.  Wrong.  By the end of the day Thursday I felt awful, so my husband (and mother) confined me back to the couch.  I have spent most of today resting…again.  I am more up to date on facebook, day time television, and the news media than any one individual should be.  I did manage to make these muffins on Wednesday, when I felt so great.  There were two apples in fridge that were supposed to be used for an apple crostata.  Instead, I used the apples in these muffins.  They turned out absolutely delicious and I was pleased to get the perfect batch on my first attempt! 


DSC07409
DSC07410 DSC07413 DSC07415 DSC07416 DSC07417 DSC07419 DSC07421




Ingredients
·         2 granny smith apples, unpeeled, very finely grated with accumulated juices
·         4 tablespoons pure maple syrup
·         4 tablespoons honey
·         2 eggs
·         1 ½ cups whole grain gluten-free flour blend (see note below)
·         2 teaspoons baking powder
·         1 teaspoon baking soda
·         1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
·         ½ teaspoon kosher salt
·         1/3 cup coconut oil

Directions
1.      Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and grease or line a12-cup muffin tin. 
2.      In a small bowl, stir together the grated apples, maple syrup, honey, and eggs.  Let this mixture sit for 10 minutes.  Slowly stream in the coconut oil, stirring constantly. 
3.      Meanwhile, in a medium sized bowl, whisk together the whole grain gluten-free flour blend, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and kosher salt. 
4.      Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until the batter is thoroughly combined.  Use an ice cream scoop to evenly distribute the batter into the muffin tin.  Bake for 16 minutes.  Cool in the muffin tin for 3 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.  Yields 12 muffins. 

Note:  The 1 ½ cups of whole grain gluten-free flour blend used in this recipe came from this batch of flours:
·         350 grams oat flour
·         350 grams buckwheat flour
·         300 grams arrowroot powder
Print this post

No comments:

Post a Comment