Monday, December 17, 2012

Chicken & Rice Soup

DSC07406


 It may seem as though I have disappeared from the blog world, but I am still here.  I, along with many other people, have come down with a horrible, nasty sickness that manages to linger around for days.  I started feeling bad last Wednesday night and have progressively gotten worse.  My sweet mother took me to the doctor Friday afternoon, once I finally decided that I needed some help.  J.T. was still at school and I knew he wouldn’t be able to leave for another hour, so my mother flew over immediately and drove me to a local walk-in doc in a box.  As I waited in the hot and stuffy waiting room I only seemed to feel worse.  Mama filled out all my paper work and helped me to the back when the doctor was ready to see me.  There was a brief moment where I thought I might die on the paper lined table, but I made it out alive.  The doctor ran tests for both the flu and strep throat.  Both of these tests came back negative.  I have actually had both of these illnesses before and I would personally diagnose myself with strep throat.  I am being treated as though I have strep with a wonderful 10 day round of antibiotics.  I still feel awful, but I managed to move off of the couch today for a little while.  My sweet husband made this soup for my lunch yesterday.  It was so yummy and exactly what this sick girl needed.  I made the recipe up based on what I knew we already had in the kitchen and J.T. did a great job preparing it.  I am so thankful for a family that takes such good care of me when I am sick.  Even Otis (our dog) has been my constant bedside buddy J I made it to the grocery store very early on Friday morning.  I hope to get my grocery post up tomorrow!



DSC07403


Ingredients
·         1 large chicken breast, bone-in and skin on
·         Extra-virgin olive oil
·         Kosher salt and coarse ground black pepper
·         1 cup brown rice
·         10 ¼ cups water, divided
·         ½ large onion, chopped
·         1 cup chopped carrots
·         1 cup chopped celery
·         ½ teaspoon dried thyme

Directions
1.      Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and line a small baking sheet with aluminum foil.  Rub the chicken with olive oil, salt, and pepper.  Place on the prepared baking sheet and roast for 30 to 45 minutes, or until the juices run clear.  Set aside to cool.
2.      Meanwhile, bring 2 ¼ cups water to a boil in a small sauce pan.  Add the brown rice and return to a boil.  Cover, reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 40 minutes. 
3.      Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat in a large Dutch oven.  Add the chopped onions, carrots, celery, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, ¼ teaspoon black pepper, and ½ teaspoon of thyme.  Sauté the vegetables until tender, about 15 minutes. 
4.      Once the chicken is cool enough to handle, chop into bite-sized chunks, discarding both the skin and the bones.  Add the chopped chicken, cooked rice, and remaining 8 cups of water to the sautéed vegetables.  Season with 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt and ¼ teaspoon black pepper.  Simmer uncovered for an hour.  Serves 4.  
Print this post

No comments:

Post a Comment