Thursday, January 24, 2013

Happy Birthday Mama - Mashed Butternut Squash

DSC07845

     On January 13, we celebrated my mother’s birthday.  Her birthday fell on a Sunday, so we had a birthday lunch at my parent’s house.  I gave Mama two different menu options.  She chose Herbs de Provence Roasted chicken, Mashed Butternut Squash, and Sautéed Asparagus.  Everything was delicious and I couldn’t have been more pleased with the main dishes.  Her birthday cake is a different story.  I usually make Mama a chocolate cake for her birthday.  Remember these? Double Chocolate Layer Cake & Claire’s Dark Chocolate Cake.  She is not supposed to eat chocolate anymore so we had to come up with a different alternative.  Mama gave me a recipe for an apple cake, which I have made before.  The cake was supposed to bake for an hour, but after an hour and a half the cake tester still came out wet.  I gave it a little more time in the oven but was worried about burning the outside.  The recipe stated that the cake should cool completely in the pan.  I reasoned that it would continue to cook in the pan so I would go ahead and take it out.  This was a bad decision.  The cake also had a glaze that was supposed to be applied as soon as it came out of the oven.  After letting the cake cool for several hours, I decided to remove it from the bundt pan.  Bad decision number 2.  The cake fell apart completely and it wasn’t even cooked!  I stared down at a plate of uncooked, mushy, cake.  My first reaction was to scream but I instead held it together.  I tossed the whole cake, glaze and all, back into the mixer.  Then, I beat it until it held together like dough.  I then mashed it down into a 9- inch round cake pan and baked it for 30 minutes.  This apple cake now became twice-baked apple cake and it was delicious.  The cake was more dense and moist than what the original recipe would have been.  I am sure this is due to the glaze being baked inside the cake.  Astatically speaking, the birthday cake needed help.  I caramelized apples in a skillet with brown sugar and butter and then spread them on top of the cake.  The only reason I am not blogging about my twice-baked apple cake is because I do not have a concrete recipe to share.  Everything was a gamble and it happened to turn out in my favor.  Another birthday cake disaster averted!  Unlike the apple cake recipe, the mashed butternut squash recipe comes from the always reliable Ina Garten.  It was easy to make and tasted great!  Even the men in my life who don’t always care for “sweet” vegetables loved it!





DSC07684 DSC07686 DSC07693 DSC07694 DSC07696 DSC07700 DSC07702 DSC07703 DSC07704


Ingredients
·         4 to 5 pounds butternut squash (2 small or 1 large)
·         3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
·         3 tablespoons coconut oil
·         ¼ cup brown sugar
·         2 teaspoons kosher salt
·         ¼ teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
·         ¼ cup almond milk

Directions
1.      Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  Peel and cut the butternut squash into ¾ inch cubes.   Toss the squash with olive oil, coconut oil, brown sugar, salt, and pepper.  Spread on a large sheet pan and roast for 40 minutes, flipping halfway through.  The squash should be very tender when pierced with a fork, but not browned.
2.      Transfer the roasted squash and any accumulated juices to the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the wire whisk attachment.  Add the almond milk and beat on medium speed for about 5 minutes, until thoroughly combined and slightly fluffy.  Keep warm or reheat over a bowl of simmering water.  If reheating, add an additional ¼ cup of almond milk.  Serves 6.  

My mother is probably going to kill me but here are a few pictures from her birthday.  I was told not to publish any because she was "having a bad hair day."  


DSC07777 

Mama with her birthday cake

DSC07818 

The hubs and I

DSC07822 

The whole family minus J.T. and Otis.  J.T. was taking the picture and Otis hates having his picture made.  

DSC07827 

I told my parents I wanted a good picture made.  
This is what they gave me.  

DSC07824

The birthday girl wanted her picture made with her favorite grandson, Otis.  He wasn't having it.  I told you he was camera shy.  She was pointing at the camera trying to get him to focus.  That never happened.  



Print this post

No comments:

Post a Comment