Wednesday, January 30, 2013

J.T.’s Cheese Crackers

DSC07931

     These are J.T.’s favorite crackers and he eats them every day as a mid-morning snack.  When we first started the real food challenge, I assumed that crackers and cereal would be my biggest obstacles to recreate in the kitchen.  I was right.  Dozens and dozens of these cheese crackers have been produced in my kitchen and it took many, many batches before I finally created the perfect consistency and flavor for J.T.  His favorite store bought crackers are Hot & Spicy Cheez-It’s, so I was attempting to make something that was similar.  These cheese crackers are very easy to make, but I always have a game plan when it comes to making my life simple.  There are four ingredients in these cheese crackers and everything revolves around the cheese.  I solely purchase Cabot Cheese, because our store does not sell Organic Valley cheese and this is the next best option.  Cabot is farmer owned and operated and produces high quality products.  About once a month Publix runs an 8 ounce block of Cabot cheese on sale for $2.50.  This sale normally lasts two weeks and I purchase one or two blocks each week.  The next three ingredients rarely ever go on sale, so I just bite the bullet and purchase these whenever there’s room in my budget.  Once I have all my ingredients together, I get to work and double the recipe listed below.  This gives me four cracker logs, or enough for four weeks.  Every weekend I defrost a log, slice, and bake.  It literally takes less than ten minutes.  On Saturday, I wrote about purchasing these containers.  The crackers fit perfectly and I will be ordering another set soon.  I divide the 24 crackers into six individual portions, and every morning before work one gets popped into J.T.’s lunch bag.  I have a confession.  I feel as though I have been holding back some of my most frequently made recipes.  This post will begin a mini-series of pantry staples that I make week in and week out.  Next week’s topic is cereal, so stay tuned! 

DSC07720 DSC07724 DSC07726 DSC07728 DSC07729 DSC07730 DSC07731 DSC07733 DSC07924 DSC07925 DSC07926 DSC07930



Ingredients
·         2 cups whole wheat flour, preferably King Arthur
·         1 (8 oz.) block Cabot Vermont sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
·         10 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, diced into cubes
·         1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (decrease or omit for less heat)

Directions
1.      Place the flour, cheese, butter and crushed red pepper flakes into a food processor.  Pulse until the dough comes together into a ball.  Dump the dough onto a pastry mat or dough board and shape into a round disk.  Use a knife to divide the dough in half.  Roll each half into a log that is approximately 9 inches long (if freezing for later, 9 inches fits perfectly into a Ziploc bag).   
2.      Slice each log into 24 cracker rounds.  I use a ramekin to flatten each cracker slightly.  Be sure to lay a piece parchment or saran wrap over the dough before pressing down with the ramekin.  Place the sliced cracker dough onto an ungreased baking sheet.  Bake for exactly 15 minutes at 375 degrees.  Remove the baked crackers to a wire rack and cool completely.  Store in an airtight container for up to one week.  Yields 48 crackers. 
Note:  These crackers freeze beautifully.  Each dough log can be wrapped in saran wrap and placed in a Ziploc bag.  Be sure to defrost the dough overnight in the refrigerator before baking.  I set mine out of the refrigerator for a few hours before I bake it.  The dough is much easier to slice at room temperature. 
Print this post

No comments:

Post a Comment