Saturday, January 12, 2013

Publix – January 11, 2013


     I received the book The Homemade Pantry as a Christmas gift from my brother (Christopher) and his fiancée (Gill).  I will now refer to them as Christopher and Gill on this blog, because I am tired of typing out titles!  I must admit that I am currently obsessed with this book!  I have almost read it cover to cover and have made a few of the recipes.  If you read this blog, you know that I am passionate about making items at home that most people usually purchase at the grocery store.  Upon reviewing our budget at the start of the New Year, I came to the shocking realization that I am spending $13.57 a week for J.T.’s cereal and milk.  That is almost 23% of our weekly grocery budget.  I believe that there has to be a cheaper alternative.  The price of milk is a constant.  Since we buy organic milk I will always pay $5.99 for a gallon and maybe more in the future.  The cereal, at $3.79 a box, is the main issue and J.T. consumes two of these 14 ounce boxes a week.   The wheels in my head have been spinning over creating a cheaper and healthier breakfast alternative for J.T.  The first source I consulted for this issue was The Homemade Pantry.  J.T. is an avid lover of his cold cereal, but I asked him if he liked instant oatmeal – the kind in the packets that are normally much sweeter and softer in texture than regular rolled oats.  He kindly agreed to try instant oatmeal and luckily The Homemade Pantry had a recipe.  I will blog about the recipe later, but it is very simple.  Basically you toast a batch of oats and pulse half of them with a little cinnamon, brown sugar (which I made!) and salt.   That’s it.  J.T. tried the oatmeal this morning and enjoyed it, but I can tell that he misses his cereal.  Now, I am on a quest to figure out how to make dry cereal in my kitchen – preferably something that is similar in taste and texture to Cheerios.  After browsing the internet, I have concluded that there are very few recipes on homemade dry cereal (besides granola).  Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated J


DSC07656  


·         Dairy
o   1 gallon Publix Greenwise Organic Milk @ $5.99
o   1 lb. Organic Valley Unsalted Butter @ $6.99
§  $1.00/1 manufacturer coupon - $5.99
o   Publix Greenwise Organic Eggs @ $4.29
·         Grocery
o   (1) Publix Greenwise Organic Toasted Oats cereal @ $3.79
o   (2) Publix Greenwise Organic Oats @ $3.98
o   2 lbs. King Arthur Organic Whole Wheat Flour @ $2.42
o   Publix Greenwise Whole Flaxseed @ $1.99
o   Florida Crystals Organic Cane Sugar @ $4.29
§  $0.55/1 manufacturer coupon - $3.74
·         Meat
o   Publix Greenwise Split Chicken breasts @ $3.50/lb. - $5.17
o   Publix Greenwise Chicken drumsticks @ $2.29/lb. - $3.80
·         Frozen
o    (2) Bird’s eye frozen Brussels @ $2.49
o    (2) Bird’s eye peas @ $1.99
·         Produce
o   Bananas @ $0.99/lb. - $2.48
o   2 lemons @ $1.33
o   4 ½  lbs. butternut squash @ $1.29/lb. - $5.70
·         Other
o   Reynolds muffin liners @ $0.95

Total before coupons              $62.52
Less: coupons used                   (6.55)
Total with Tax                        $55.97
Print this post

No comments:

Post a Comment