Saturday, January 26, 2013

Publix – January 24, 2013

     I had a really good trip to Publix this week and was so happy with the quantity of food I brought home.  Some weeks, my grocery trips can look pretty skimpy.  Especially if I have to shell out $6 for coffee, pure maple syrup, or some other more expensive staple that we cannot go another week without.  I am now getting 21 meals a week out of my $60 budget (this is three meals a day for 7 days).  Most of my meals serve 4, but every Sunday I cook enough to feed 6 to 8.  These savings are huge in comparison to what it would cost to eat out.  We are eating well too – no beans and rice meals around here!  I know which vegetables and fruits to buy organic and which ones have low pesticide levels, so their conventional form is okay.  I try to serve something green with every meal.  This week I splurged on a bag of preservative free, natural collard greens for $4.  We don’t normally eat vegetables that are so expensive, but generally stick with peas, cabbage, carrots, onions, Brussels, and whatever is on sale and in season.  While I have become a master at planning our meals on a budget, I am always looking to see where we can cut costs.  It must the accountant in me.  We already switched to cloth napkins several months ago.  This greatly reduces the amount of trash we create and it eliminates the need to continue buying paper napkins.  I have 3 sets of cloth napkins.  By far, my favorite are these from Pottery Barn (I'm OBSESSED with Pottery Barn).  I also ordered this smaller baseball napkin for J.T.’s lunch box.  This week I ordered my first set of stainless steel lunch box containers.  I plan on using these to pack J.T.’s crackers, which he eats for a snack every day.  Now, I can quit buying all those fussy Ziploc baggies that get thrown away day after day.  In October, I invested in several anchor hocking glass one cup containers and we use them constantly.  These are the perfect size for muffins and J.T. and I both take one to work daily.  We are slowly transitioning our kitchen to be a bit greener.  I am hoping that investing in good containers now will save money in the future.  One last note - most lunch box items are geared toward children.  Are there any adults out there who pack a lunch? 


DSC07914


·         Dairy
o   (2) ½ gallon Organic Valley milk @ $7.00
§  $1.00/2 manufacturer coupon - $6.00
o   Silk almond milk @ $3.35
§  $0.75/1 manufacturer coupon - $2.60
o   Publix Greenwise Organic Eggs @ $4.29
·         Grocery
o   (1) Publix Greenwise Organic Toasted Oats Cereal @ $3.79
o   (1) Publix Greenwise Organic Oats @ $1.99
o   (1) 8 oz. can Muir Glen Organic tomato sauce @ $0.89
o   (1) 28 oz. can Muir Glen Fire-Roasted Crushed tomatoes @ $2.59
o   (2) Frank’s Hot Sauce @ $3.00
§  (2) $0.75/1 manufacturer coupon - $1.50
·         Meat
o   5 ½ lb. Springer Mountain Farm Whole Chicken @ $9.57
§  $2.00/1 manufacturer coupon - $7.57
·         Frozen
o   (2) Green Giant Valley Fresh Steamers (Peas) @ $2.59
o   (1) Cascadian Farm Organic Strawberries & (1) Organic Spinach @ $6.18
§  $2.00/2 manufacturer coupon - $4.18
·         Produce
o   Bananas @ $0.99/lb. - $2.22
o   2 lbs. Nature’s Greens Shredded Collards @ $3.99
o   1 head green cabbage @ $0.69/lb. - $1..39
o   2 lbs. carrots @ $2.58
o   3 lb. bag yellow onions @ $2.49
o   1 head garlic @ $0.51

Total before coupons              $64.62
Less: coupons used                   (7.25)
Total with Tax                        $57.37
Print this post

No comments:

Post a Comment