Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Julia's Boston Baked Beans


DSC06535


 


DSC06530 DSC06531 DSC06533 DSC06534


Ingredients
  • 1 pound dried navy beans, rinsed and picked over for stones
  • 1 cup onion, sliced
  • 4 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 sprigs fresh thyme
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 2 tablespoons molasses (I was out of molasses and substituted brown sugar.)
  • 3 tablespoons canola oil
  • 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
  • 1 ½ teaspoons table salt
  • 6 grinds freshly ground black pepper
  • 5 cups water

 
Directions
  1. In a slower cooker, combine the beans, onion, garlic, thyme, bay leaves, molasses, canola oil, Dijon mustard, salt, pepper, and water. Cover and cook on low for 14 hours. Check occasionally to ensure there is enough water. You may need to add a cup or so more. Julia recommends you serve this with coleslaw and brown bread.

Print this post

2 comments:

  1. Great idea substituting the brown sugar for the molasses, I think I'm going to try this recipe next week. For the past two weeks I have had so much luck with beans in the crock pot and the only thing stopping me from doing baked beans was that I couldn't find organic molasses. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I always try to substitute what I have on hand. This recipe is so easy and it makes a good a good bit - very budget friendly. By the way, I love your blog! It is nice to know someone else is trying to buy organic, healthy foods with coupons.

    ReplyDelete