Saturday, September 15, 2012

Changes…Publix – September 14, 2012


     My trip to the grocery store this week was definitely different. One of the biggest changes I made was increasing my grocery budget to $60 a week. I am contemplating allowing this $60 to go toward both food and toiletry items. This will allow me to put extra money toward food, during the weeks that I do not purchase any toiletry items. I am happy to report that everything I purchased this week, with the exception of my almond milk, has less than five ingredients or is a whole food in itself. Many of the items on my grocery list were organic – probably more than I have ever bought before. Publix has a great store brand line of organic products, but it is still frustrating to not be able to find things such as organic cheese, dried beans, canned Pumpkin, etc. I refuse to shop 5 different places for groceries, so I guess I will take what is available. 
     I was able to find J.T. organic cereal (that only has 4 ingredients!) for $1.96 a box. I know, I know, I have said before that you should not pay more than $1.50 for a box of cereal, but my logic has changed recently. According to Robyn O' Brien, author of Inspired Bites for Prevention Magazine, organic "standards include a national list of approved synthetic and prohibited non-synthetic substances for organic production which means that organically produced foods also must be produced without the use of:
  • Antibiotics
  • artificial growth hormones
  • high fructose corn syrup
  • artificial dyes (made from coal tar and petrochemicals)
  • artificial sweeteners
  • synthetically created chemical pesticide and fertilizers
  • genetically engineered proteins and ingredients
  • sewage sludge
  • irradiation"
The second to last point - sewage sludge - really got me. Why would I pay more for organic food? The 9 reasons listed above, along with the desire to reduce future medical expenses, serve as my motivation. That is enough about organic food for now. I spent a total of $57.12 on groceries this week and even managed to scrounge up a few coupons!


    DSC06586

  • Dairy
    • (1) gallon Publix Greenwise 2% Organic Milk @ $5.99
    • (1) 6 oz. container Fage 2% Greek Yogurt @ $1.50
    • (1) block Cabot Vermont Sharp Cheese @ $2.50
      • $1.00/1 manufacturer coupon - $1.50
    • (1) ½ gallon Almond Breeze Almond Milk @ $2.50
  • Grocery
    • (1) container Publix Greenwise Organic Oats @ $1.99
    • (3) boxes Kashi Simply Maize Organic Corn Cereal @ $8.97
      • (3) $0.70/1 manufacturer coupon & $1.00/3 Target coupon - $5.87 or $1.96 each
    • (1) bag Publix Greenwise Organic Coffee @ $5.99
    • (1) can Publix Pumpkin Puree @ $1.49
    • 1 lb. dried Black Beans @ $1.69
    • (1) can Publix Greenwise Organic Diced Tomatoes @ $1.49
    • (1) can Giorgio Organic Mushrooms @ $0.95
    • (2) cans Bumble Bee White Albacore Tuna @ $3.00
      • $1.00/2 manufacturer coupon - $2.00 or $1.00 each
    • (2) Blue Diamond Whole Natural Almonds (BOGO)@ $3.39
      • $1.00/2 manufacturer coupon - $2.39 or $1.20 each
    • (1) container Publix Greenwise Organic sunflower seeds @ 20% off - $2.15
    • (1) 2 lb. bag King Arthur Organic Whole Wheat Flour @ $2.79
  • Meat
    • 1 lb. white shrimp @ $6.99/lb.
  • Frozen
    • (1) 16 oz. package Publix frozen peas @ $1.59
  • Produce
    • Organic bananas @ $0.99/lb. - $2.34
    • 1 lb. Organic peaches @ $1.65
    • 1 lemon @ $0.67
    • 1 lb. Publix Greenwise Organic Carrots @ $1.29/lb.
    • 2 onions @ $0.89
    • 1 bunch scallions @ $0.60
    • 1 garlic bulb @ $0.36
     
    $5.00 off $25.00 purchase Save-A-Lot competitor coupon

    Total before coupons         $68.22
    Less: coupons used            (11.10)
    Total with Tax                   $57.12
Print this post

No comments:

Post a Comment