Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Gluten-Free Whole Grain Pumpkin Muffins


DSC06646


      
On Monday I felt as though the heavens opened up.  I am probably being a bit dramatic, but I ate a pumpkin muffin for the first time since 2009.  It may have been longer than that, but I do not keep records of stuff like "ate last pumpkin muffin June 12, 2008."  I was so excited about these muffins - singing and dancing with Otis (the dog) and downright giddy the rest of the afternoon.   Why am I so excited about muffins?  Well, I refuse to buy packaged gluten-free foods such as muffins, crackers, etc. because they do not taste very good.  I also do not want to pay for expensive gluten-free flour blends.  While I do purchase brown rice flour, I make my own oat flour.  My inspiration to find a whole-wheat flour substitution came from 100 Days of Real Food.  Many different recipes on this website call for whole-wheat flour, which is not an option for me.  After doing some research, I came across a blog post from Gluten-Free Girl.  She had formulated a gluten-free whole grain flour blend that I had all the ingredients to make!  Finding a gluten-free whole grain flour blend, opens up so many more recipe options to me and I could not be happier!




 

DSC06630 
(I am not sure how my kosher salt made it into this picture.  This recipe uses table salt only.)
DSC06631 DSC06634 DSC06637 DSC06639 DSC06640 DSC06642 DSC06643 DSC06648 

  
Ingredients
  • 1 ½ cups gluten-free whole grain flour blend*
  • 1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • ¼ teaspoon baking powder
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • ½ cup coconut oil
  • ½ cup honey
  • ½ teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup canned pumpkin puree

Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a 12-cup muffin tin.
  2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.  In a small glass measuring cup, whisk together the coconut oil, honey, vanilla, and eggs.  Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients.  Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.  Fold in the canned pumpkin puree.  Use a ¼ cup measuring cup to ladle the batter into the muffin tin.  Bake for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.  Remove from the oven and leave the muffins in the tin for 2 minutes.   Move the muffins to a wire rack to cool.  Yields 12 muffins.
* I made my own gluten-free whole grain flour, but you can also substitute whole wheat flour.  The recipe behind my whole grain flour blend came from here.  I used the following ratios:
  • 150 grams brown rice flour
  • 200 grams oat flour
  • 150 grams cornstarch
This flour recipe makes more than what is required for the muffin recipe above.  Store any extra in the refrigerator.

Print this post

1 comment:

  1. Thank you! I have only recently started experimenting with gluten free baking. It has definitely been a trial and error experience.

    ReplyDelete