Saturday, September 1, 2012

Publix – August 31, 2012


     This week I went to Publix on Friday morning. I did this for two reasons: (1) Many of the coupons I wanted to use this week expired on August 31 and (2) Friday was the last day of the current Publix Yellow Advantage Flyer sale. I missed having my hubby along for the trip, but I didn't want to wait until Friday afternoon. I am sure Publix will be very crowded this weekend due to Labor Day.

     I have always been very interested in all aspects surrounding food. My newest obsession is learning about the various ingredients that are being used to create processed food. For example, this week I learned that the non-stick cooking spray that is sold to us at the grocery store contains propellant (read it for yourself here and go read the ingredients on the can of cooking spray in your kitchen). Propellant contains petroleum gas, propane, and butane. I cannot believe I have been spraying this on my food! Since the spray contains such a small amount of propellant, the government deems it safe. I am trying to be more conscious about the processed foods that are brought into our home. This is why I decided to put back the 40 oz. bottle of Heinz ketchup that I could have gotten at Publix this week for $0.80. I would rather save my Heinz coupon to purchase Organic Heinz ketchup – which is made with real ingredients. I also decided to try new brand of eggs. I shopped at a different Publix this week and discovered that they carried Davidson's Safest Choice Eggs. While these eggs are not certified organic eggs, they are hormone and antibiotic free. I have learned that many smaller companies will not pay the hefty fee that is required to have their products certified as organic. There was a coupon on the product, so I decided that we would give them a try.

     I am under budget this week! To be fair, I did go to the store on Tuesday and purchase the gallon of organic milk you see pictured. It was on sale for $5.19 and had a really good date that will get J.T. through the upcoming week. I counted the amount paid for the milk with my groceries for this week. The amount I save using coupons seems to be dwindling, but the totals from week to week do add up. In the month of August alone, I have saved $188.75. Keep in mind that these are simply the savings from coupons I clipped. This does not include how much I have saved by purchasing items when they are on sale. My totals spent this week were $45.51 for groceries and $6.80 for toiletry items.



DSC06539



  • Dairy
    • 1 gallon Publix Greenwise Organic Milk @ $5.19
    • (1) Silk Almond milk @ $3.49
      • $1.00/1 manufacturer coupon - $2.49
    • Davidson's Safest Choice Eggs @ $2.79
      • $0.55/1 manufacturer coupon - $2.24
  • Grocery
    • (1) Publix Greenwise Organic Oats @ $1.99
    • 1 lb. Publix lentils @ $1.49
    • 1 ½ lbs. Alabama King Stone Ground White cornmeal @ $1.75
    • ¾ lb. Goya course ground yellow cornmeal @ $0.75 (on clearance)
    • (1) Heinz Apple Cider Vinegar @ $1.49
      • $1.00/1 manufacturer coupon - $0.49
    • (1) Mott's Applesauce pouch @ $2.00
      • $1.00/1 manufacturer coupon - $1.00
    • (1) Mt. Olive Pickles @ $1.60
      • $1.00/1 manufacturer coupon - $0.60
    • (3) Kellogg's cereal (BOGO) @ $6.14
      • $1.00/3 manufacturer coupon & $1.00/3 Target coupon - $4.14 or $1.38 each – these were 24 oz. packages – twice the size of regular cereal boxes!
  • Meat
    • 2 lbs. Publix Greenwise Ground Chuck @ $4.99/lb. - $9.68
  • Frozen
    • (1) Pictsweet family size frozen brussels @ $2.50
    • (2) Bird's eye frozen peas @ 50% off - $2.00 or $1.00 each
    • (1) Bird's eye frozen broccoli florets @ 50% off - $1.30
    • (1) Cascadian Farm Organic frozen spinach @ $2.69
      • $0.85/1 manufacturer coupon - $1.84
  • Produce
    • 2 lbs. bananas @ $0.69/lb. - $1.40 (they were out of organic)
    • Publix Greenwise Organic carrots @ $1.29/lb.
    • Yellow Onions @ $1.19/lb. - $2.18
    • ½ lb. Baby Portobello mushrooms @ $1.69
  • Other
    • (2) Aussie hairspray @ 2/$5.00
      • $3.00/2 manufacturer coupon - $2.00 or $1.00 each
    • (1) Dove Body Wash @ $5.49
      • $1.25/1 manufacturer coupon - $4.24

     

    $5.00 off $30.00 purchase Winn-Dixie competitor coupon

     

    Total before coupons         $68.96
    Less: coupons used            (16.65)
    Total with Tax                   $52.31


Print this post

4 comments:

  1. Girl,
    How do you plan to cook the carrots. I plan to smoke some carrots today in pecan wood and corn!
    BF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BF - I roasted the carrots...sorry to disappoint. I am sure your carrots will turn out good. You seem to be the only person who comments on my blog...and it always has something to do with carrots!

      Delete
    2. Person?
      BF

      Delete
  2. That's funny and ironic. I didn't want carrot girl to be the only one to post on your blog. LOL

    ReplyDelete