Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Indian Cornmeal Pudding

 Each week I make a dessert to be served at Sunday lunch.  I sometimes even make dessert more than once a week.  My husband has a thing for sweets.  He would deny his love for dessert if you asked him, but every night around 8:00 you can find him with a bowl of something sweet.  I usually don’t make anything for dessert that I can eat.  Of course I have dessert on my birthday and I had a slice of wedding cake at our wedding, but dessert is something that I have pushed away.  Mainly because I have a huge fear of gaining back all the weight I have lost.  My love of sweets is the primary reason I used to be overweight.  I will admit that I have somewhat of a complex about being well-rounded again.  Although I have had my weight under control for over 5 years now, I have only recently learned that it doesn't have to be all or nothing.  It is fine for me to have dessert occasionally, because everything in moderation is okay.  The past few weeks I have served a dessert on Sunday that I could eat – all adapted to be gluten and dairy free.  I have been on a pudding kick lately – Vanilla Bean Pudding, Indian Cornmeal Pudding, and Pumpkin Custard.  Indian Cornmeal Pudding taste like the gingerbread men cookies you eat at Christmas, but in pudding form.  I served our pudding warm from the oven and topped it with vanilla ice cream.   

DSC06843


Recipe adapted from Cooking with Cornmeal


DSC06828 DSC06829 DSC06833 DSC06831 DSC06835 DSC06838


Ingredients
·         ½ cup cornmeal
·         ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
·         ¼ teaspoon baking soda
·         3 cups almond milk, divided
·         2 tablespoons extra-virgin coconut oil
·         1 egg
·         ¼ cup dark molasses
·         1/3 cup honey
·         1 teaspoon cinnamon
·         ½ teaspoon nutmeg

Directions
1.      In a medium sauce pan whisk together the cornmeal, salt, and baking soda.  Pour in 1 ½ cups of almond milk and whisk until combined.  Bring to a boil over medium heat, whisking continuously until thickened.  Remove from the heat and set aside.
2.      In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the coconut oil, egg, molasses, honey, cinnamon, nutmeg and remaining almond milk.  Temper this mixture with the cooked cornmeal mixture until everything is combined.  Pour the batter into a greased 1 quart casserole dish.  Bake for 1 ½ hours at 325 degrees.  Serve hot or cold with ice cream, if desired.  Serves 6.   

Print this post

No comments:

Post a Comment