Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Pumpkin Cornbread


     My parents traveled to Washington D.C. a few weeks ago.  During this trip they visited George Washington's Mount Vernon.  My mother brought back a bag of cornmeal and a tiny cookbook entitled "Cooking with Cornmeal."  While skimming through this tiny cookbook, I came across Pumpkin cornbread.  I immediately knew I had to make this.  Fall is slowly making its way to Alabama.  Although I hate it when the weather turns cold, I do love a few things about fall: pumpkin, butternut squash, sweet potatoes, and chili.  I actually baked this Pumpkin cornbread the same week I made Gluten-Free Whole Grain Pumpkin Muffins – my fall pumpkin love affair has officially begun.   I served this cornbread with big bowls of thick, hearty black beans.   I guess you could say that it was the perfect Halloween supper – black beans with orange tinted cornbread.

 


DSC06710


Recipe adapted from Cooking with Cornmeal

 

DSC06693 DSC06697 DSC06694 DSC06698 DSC06701 DSC06702 DSC06704 DSC06708 

Ingredients
  • 1 ½ cups cornmeal
  • ½ gluten-free whole grain flour blend
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • ½ teaspoon soda
  • ½ teaspoon cinnamon
  • ½ teaspoon nutmeg
  • ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 2 eggs
  • ¾ cup canned pumpkin
  • 3 tablespoons canola oil
  • 3 tablespoons honey
  • ¾ cup olive oil mayonnaise
  • ¾ cup almond milk
Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9-inch square baking pan.
  2. In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients and make a well in the center of the bowl. In a large glass measuring cup whisk together the wet ingredients. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix together until just combined. Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan. Bake for 30 – 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool at least 10 minutes before cutting into squares.

Print this post

2 comments:

  1. Melissa Rogers10/5/12, 8:49 AM

    How about I got the same cornmeal, same cookbook, and saw that same recipe :) I will be trying this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's funny! I have only tried the pumpkin cornbread and spoonbread so far. Both very good. I definitely have a few others on my list to make...especially in the pancake section.

    ReplyDelete