Saturday, February 9, 2013

Publix – February 7, 2013

     Today is my brother’s birthday and we will be celebrating tonight with family and friends at my parent’s house.  Guess who was in charge of the menu plan and cooking?  If you guessed me then you would be correct.  Eight people will be at Christopher’s birthday dinner tonight, so I knew I would be planning for many different taste buds.  My parents normally have steaks every Saturday night.  This is a major family tradition on both my mother and father’s side of the family.  I am not sure if it has something to do with the time period in which they were raised, or if it is a coincidence that both of their families had this routine Saturday night meal.  My brother requested that we have a different meal for his birthday than the usual steak supper.  Although he said steaks were fine, he wanted different side dishes and something besides a dry rub on the steaks.  I turned to one of my most reliable sources – Ina Garten.  No, Ina and I have never met, but sometimes I feel like we could hang out together.  I have every single one of her cookbooks and have read all the notes and tips that she suggests throughout her books.  I know her recipes are always successful or “Foolproof,” which is the title of her newest book.  After browsing through several of her books, I came up with this menu:

·         French Bistro Steaks with Provencal Butter
·         Olive Oil Mashed Potatoes
·         Green Salads with homemade Buttermilk Ranch Dressing and homemade Vinaigrette
·         Strawberry Cheesecake

Of course, I am still very much committed to our real food, organic diet, so everything is being made from scratch – right down to the homemade graham crackers I made for the Cheesecake graham cracker crust.  My parents and I are both providing the food for tonight’s meal and luckily they are taking care of the steaks.  Steaks for eight people would certainly blow my budget!  I will blog about the cheesecake later, because I still have to make the topping this morning.  I am crossing my fingers that this birthday meal turns out great! 


DSC08045


·         Dairy
o   ½ gallon Publix Greenwise Organic milk @ $3.89
o   1 lb. Publix Greenwise Organic Butter @ $5.69
·         Grocery
o   (1) Publix Greenwise Organic Toasted Oats Cereal @ $3.79
o   (2) Publix Greenwise Organic Oats @ $3.98
o   Publix Greenwise Organic  Coffee @ $5.99
o   1 lb. Gourmet House Organic Brown Rice @ $1.35
o   (3) Chicken of the Sea canned salmon @ $3.75
§  (2) $1.00/1 manufacturer coupons - $1.75
o   Lindsay Capers @ $1.69
o   Spice World Coarse Ground Black pepper @ $1.34
·         Meat
o   Springer Mountain Farms boneless, skinless chicken breasts @ $4.99/lb. - $10.28
·         Frozen
o   (6) Green Giant boxed peas @ $5.97
§  (2) $1.00/3 manufacturer coupons - $3.97
o   Cascadian Farm Organic Strawberries @ $3.49
§  $1.00/1 manufacturer coupon - $2.49
o   Publix Greenwise Organic Vanilla ice cream @ $3.50
·         Produce
o   Organic Bananas @ $0.99/lb. - $2.38
o   1 head green cabbage @ $2.07
o   3 lb. bag yellow onions @ $3.29
o   1 lb. Publix Greenwise Organic Carrots @ $1.29/lb.
o   1 bulb garlic @ $0.45

Total before coupons              $69.38
Less: coupons used                 (10.00)
Total with Tax                        $59.38
Print this post

No comments:

Post a Comment