Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Brown Sugar & Cinnamon Instant Oatmeal

DSC08043



     A while ago, I got on my soapbox about milk and cereal being very pricy.  A gallon of Publix Greenwise organic milk retails for $5.99 and a 14 ounce box of Publix Greenwise organic toasted oats cereal costs $3.79.  J.T. likes big bowls of cereal and there is nothing tiny about the amount of milk he drowns his cereal in either.  Two boxes of cereal and a gallon of milk were costing $13.57 a week! This doesn’t include the ½ gallon of almond milk and container of oats I buy for my breakfast each week.  I talked to J.T. about possibly trying instant oatmeal.  As a kid, he wasn’t fond of oatmeal.  I am not sure any kid really is unless it is loaded with sugar and a bunch of other chemicals and additives, which are junk.  Once again, my Homemade Pantry cookbook came to the rescue!  I can attest that this oatmeal is delicious.  I sometimes eat a small bowl for a bedtime snack.  J.T. will actually eat this oatmeal and he enjoys it!  I was so relieved.  J.T. has cut his milk and cereal consumption in half.  This saves a little money that can be put toward other items which we really need at the store.  After being a cold cereal breakfast consumer for years, J.T. now rotates between cereal and this instant oatmeal recipe. I am thankful for a husband that is always willing to try new things J   

DSC07705DSC07709 DSC07710 DSC07712 DSC07713 DSC07714



Ingredients
·         6 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
·         ½ cup packed brown sugar
·         1 tablespoon cinnamon
·         1 teaspoon kosher salt

Directions
1.      Preheat the oven to 325 degrees and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.  Spread the oats out in an even layer on the prepared baking sheet.  Bake in the oven for 20 minutes.  Set aside to cool slightly.
2.      In a food processor, fitted with a steel blade, pulse together the brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, and 4 cups of the baked oats.  Pulse the mixture until it is a powdery consistency.  Mix together the pulsed oats and the remaining baked oats.  Store in a large airtight container for up to a month.  To make the instant oatmeal, combine ½ cup of oats with 1 to 1 ½ cups of water (for thicker oatmeal add less water and for thinner oatmeal add more water).  Microwave on high for 2 to 2 ½ minutes (mine takes exactly 2 minutes and 15 secondsJ).   Add a splash of milk and serve hot.  Yields 12 to 15 servings.  
Print this post

3 comments:

  1. I never knew you could make your own instant oatmeal! I will definitely have to try this! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't either until I came across the recipe. It is really easy to make and tastes much better than the packets you buy. It is also cheap...which we like around here :)

      Delete