Saturday, February 2, 2013

Publix – January 31, 2013

     Since July of 2012, I have been blogging about my grocery trips to Publix and for the very first time I went over budget.  I knew it was going to be very close, but there were items we needed that I refused to go another week without.  At first I was a little upset that I went over my $60 limit, but it was only by $0.59 cents so I let it go.  I purchased staple ingredients such as flour, sugar, cheese, and olive oil.  If you missed my last post, the cheese will be enough for another month’s worth of J.T.’s Cheese Crackers.  I am so thankful that it is the beginning of a new month.  This means my budget numbers get refreshed and I get to see how we did overall for the month of January.  An excel spreadsheet helps me keep track of our month to month expenses.  There are fixed costs such as rent, power, cable, gas, water, cell phone, and insurance.  These costs are around the same amount each month – with the exception of power.  I about flipped a lid when we received our power bill in July!  Our variable expenses are broken down in more detail.  Food covers how much we spend at the grocery store, on meals dining out, and Otis (our doggie).  There are also separate categories for prescription drugs, over the counter drugs, and toiletry items.  The remaining expenses include fuel (& other car expenses), doctor co-pays, and miscellaneous.  When too many miscellaneous expenses accrue a red flag goes up.  Over the last nine months of marriage, I have learned that there is a fine line between sticking to the budget and enjoying life.  J.T. and I have been blessed, so we try to be good stewards of our money.  We don’t use credit cards and everything is paid for by cash or check.  However, if we have the money saved, it is okay to take a random trip to the beach or to go over budget during a weekly grocery store trip.  My Mama always says she wants the last check she writes to bounce, because when you leave this world you can’t take the money with you!


DSC08010



·         Dairy
o   Silk almond milk @ $3.35
§  $0.75/1 manufacturer coupon - $2.60
o   Publix Greenwise Organic Eggs @ $4.29
o   (2) Cabot Vermont Cheddar Cheese @ $5.00
§  $1.00/2 manufacturer coupon - $4.00
·         Grocery
o   (1) Publix Greenwise Organic Toasted Oats Cereal @ $3.79
o   (2) Publix Greenwise Organic Oats @ $3.98
o   1 lb. Publix lentils @ $1.49
o   (1) 5 lb. bag King Arthur White Whole Wheat Flour @ $3.99
o   (1) Florida Crystals Organic Cane Sugar @ $4.29
§  $0.55/1 manufacturer coupon - $3.74
o   (2) Pompeian Extra-Virgin Olive Oil @ $6.65
§   (1) $1.00/1 manufacturer coupon - $5.65
o   Publix Greenwise Flaxseed @ 20% off - $1.59
·         Meat
o   6 lb. Springer Mountain Farm (antibiotic free) whole chicken @ $1.69/lb. - $10.06
§  $2.00/1 manufacturer coupon - $8.06
·         Frozen
o   (1) 10 oz. bag Cascadian Farm Organic Broccoli @ $2.49
o   (3) Bird’s Eye steam fresh Frozen Brussels @ $3.68
§  (3) $1.00/1 manufacturer coupons - $0.68
o   (1) 16 oz. bag Publix Whole Okra @ $1.69
·         Produce
o   Organic Bananas @ $0.99/lb. - $2.46
o   1 lb. Publix Greenwise Organic Carrots @ $1.29/lb.
o   Sweet Potatoes @ $0.79/lb. - $2.92

Total before coupons              $68.59
Less: coupons used                   (8.00)
Total with Tax                        $60.59
Print this post

No comments:

Post a Comment