Friday, November 8, 2013

Roasted Brussels Sprouts

DSC07909


     Fall is here and this means my obsession with roasted root vegetables, hearty vegetable soups, and one pot casseroles can begin.  I realize many of you think brussels sprouts are disgusting and you grew up feeding these miniature, mushy cabbages to the dog (who probably spit them out).  I would argue that brussels - roasted until the skins turn golden brown - are a delicious, salty, vegetable gem that is sadly overlooked at the weekly dinner table.  My husband hated brussels sprouts until I made these.  I wasn't particularly fond of them myself, considering I had only eaten them boiled or steamed.  Most any vegetable roasted on a tray in the oven, with olive oil and salt, will turn out wonderful.  Why?  Roasting concentrates the flavor of the vegetable and caramelizes it's natural sugar content.  Roasted carrots, butternut squash, and potatoes are favorites in our family.  Always watch the oven carefully during the last 10 minutes of cooking.  Vegetables can burn quickly!  My husband actually prefers his blackened, while I like mine golden brown.  


DSC07886 DSC07888 DSC07889 DSC07891 DSC07898 DSC07908


Ingredients
·         1 ½ pounds brussels sprouts (I normally use frozen and defrost them overnight in the fridge)
·         2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
·         1 ¼ teaspoons celtic sea salt
·         ½ teaspoon coarse ground black pepper

Directions
1.      Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line a large sheet pan with parchment paper.  In a medium sized bowl, lightly toss together the brussels, olive oil, salt, and pepper.  In one even layer, spread the brussels onto the prepared sheet pan.  Make sure they are spaced apart because this ensures that the brussels brown and do not steam.  Roast for 45 minutes, flipping once after 25 minutes.  Serves 5.  
Print this post

No comments:

Post a Comment