Friday, November 22, 2013

Sweet Potato Puree

DSC07637


     Fall vegetables seem to be my current focus on the blog lately.  My favorite vegetable of all time, during any season, is the sweet potato.  Rachael Ray has stated many times that the sweet potato is the most nutrient dense vegetable you can purchase in the grocery store.  While I am not sure if this is 100% accurate, I certainly would like to think that she is correct.  My love for sweet potatoes developed at an early age, when my grandmother introduced me to sweet potato soufflé.  We lived far away and would travel to see her around the holidays.  It never failed that she always made her delicious sweet potato soufflé, topped with brown sugar and pecans.   As we said our goodbyes, she would hand me a small carryout container to snack on during the drive home.  Most kids like candy, chips, Little Debbie’s and various other junk foods.  I prefer the sweet potatoes and have never quit loving them to this day.  The recipe below is a variation of a recipe in Ina Garten’s latest cookbook, Foolproof.  While it isn’t my grandmother’s soufflé, it is a lighter twist on my favorite vegetable that can be served any time of the year.  


DSC07621 DSC07623 DSC07625 DSC07627 DSC07628 DSC07629 DSC07630 DSC07633 DSC07634 DSC07638


Ingredients
·         3 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
·         ¾ cup almond milk
·         ½ cup coconut oil
·         ½ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
·         2 teaspoons kosher salt
·         ¼ teaspoon black pepper

Directions
1.      Place the sweet potatoes in a steamer and steam for 25 minutes, or until very tender.  Move the potatoes to the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment.  Add the almond milk, coconut oil, orange juice, salt, and pepper.  With the mixer on low, blend together for 10 minutes.  The sweet potatoes should be very smooth.  To keep warm or to reheat, place the sweet potato puree in a bowl over a pot of simmering water.  Yields 6 servings.  


Print this post

No comments:

Post a Comment