Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Hummus

.


     When J.T. and I went on our first date, although we were “just friends,” it was to Zoe’s Kitchen.  Even with all my food intolerances/allergies, I can safely eat at Zoe’s and have multiple menu options.  In my defense, I warned J.T. that Zoe’s was chic food, but he had never been and wanted to give it a try.   I can still remember that date like it was yesterday.  He ordered the turkey sandwich with pita chips and I got my usual, the chicken salad and fruit plate.  Zoe’s has become one of our favorite restaurants and J.T. has learned that the turkey sandwich is not his favorite menu item.  He jokes to this day that his pita chips tasted like cardboard, and I still laugh at the fact the he ordered a turkey sandwich.  Now, his usual meal at Zoe’s is the hummus salad plate.  This man loves hummus and I have become quite fond of it myself.  I have gotten into the habit of serving hummus on Wednesday evenings.  Once a month or so, I make a large batch of hummus and divide it into 9 or 10 half pint jars.  I freeze the hummus and pull out jars as needed for meals.  Two jars are enough to provide us with supper and lunch for the next day.  It is so easy to make and much quicker than our old Wednesday night standby, veggie burgers.  After several edible, yet flawed batches of hummus, I have finally stumbled across my perfect recipe.  Nothing is overpowering and all the flavors of tahini, garlic, and lemon work together to form a creamy, Mediterranean (as described my J.T.) puree.  


.


Ingredients
  • 10 garlic cloves, peeled
  • 1 pound chickpeas, cooked, juices reserved
  • ¾ cup tahini paste
  • ¾ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice, from 3 to 4 lemons
  • 3 tablespoons hot sauce, such as Crystal,  not Tabasco
  • 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 3 ½ teaspoons Celtic sea salt
  • 1 tablespoon cumin
  • ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper

Directions
1.     In a food processor fitted with a steel blade, pulse together the garlic cloves until finely minced.  Add the remaining ingredients and pulse together until the hummus forms a creamy consistency.  Add more reserved cooking liquid if needed.  
2.     Refrigerate overnight before serving.  Yields 9 to 10 (8 ounce) jars, about 9 cups


Make ahead:  Prepare the hummus and spoon into canning jars.  The hummus may be refrigerated up to one week or frozen up to 3 months.  If freezing, be sure to use a wide mouth canning jar.  


Print this post

No comments:

Post a Comment