Sunday, April 27, 2014

Menu Plan, April 27 - May 3

     The Easter Bunny was very good to me last weekend and he sure knows what I like. Some food gifts included a bottle of olive oil and 4 new herb plants.  We also took home one of my dad’s tasty smoked hams.  He did one for both me and my brother and I know we are all thankful for the free food!  The menu plan was altered for the upcoming weeks to include this ham.  During Easter lunch we feasted on another ham my dad had made specifically for Easter.  Since spiral hams tend to dry out, my dad normally buys regular hams that you must slice yourself.  This became quite the ordeal on Sunday.  My dad cut himself pretty badly on two fingers, when the knife slipped during his first cut.  I, of course, took over with an electric knife and ended up cutting into my index finger.  Ouch.  My cut isn’t too terrible, but it is in a very inconvenient location and is still quite sore.  My brother saved the day by slicing the rest of the ham without hurting himself – thank goodness J

     Tomorrow, J.T. and I will celebrate our second wedding anniversary.  While we are going on a little getaway, we will be enjoying dinner in our own kitchen on our actual anniversary.  I consulted Ina Garten for this meal, because her recipes are always so foolproof.  We can’t normally afford to eat seafood or more expensive vegetables, but we are making an exception.  Our anniversary meal is not included in my normal grocery budget and we are very grateful to the Easter Bunny for funding this rare treat!

     Below is a picture of the homemade vegetable chicken stock I threw in the crock pot one morning.  The broth turned a dark brown color because it was made from roasted chicken bones.  I always keep bones (from raw meat or roasted meat) in the freezer until I have enough accumulated to make stock.  I want to clarify that I do not save bones that people have eaten off.  Any roasted bones that are saved have had the meat shredded off by hand and not someone's mouth!  I also save carrot tops and celery leaves.  Once I have enough vegetables and bones, I place them in the crock pot, along with garlic, peppercorns, and a bay leaf, on low for 12 hours.  The stock turns out rich every time and it is quite inexpensive to make.    

.


Sunday
  • Atlanta
Monday (Anniversary Dinner)
  • Salmon with Melting Cherry Tomatoes (new recipe)
  • Green Beans Gremolata (new recipe)
Tuesday
  • Mini Ham Sandwiches
  • Sautéed Peas, Carrots & Onions
Wednesday
  • Hummus Sandwiches
  • Roasted Sweet Potatoes
Thursday
  • Falafel Burgers
  • Vegetable Millet Pilaf
Friday
Saturday

  • Leftovers
Print this post

No comments:

Post a Comment