Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Gluten-Free Multi-Grain Flour Blend


.


     Although this gluten-free flour blend works in most recipes that call for whole wheat flour or whole white wheat flour, it is not an exact substitute.  All the recipes on my blog that list multi-grain flour blend as an ingredient have been tested.  Trial and error along with experimentation may be needed in recipes outside of this blog.  This flour blend is referred to as multi-grain instead of whole grain because it is a blend of 73% whole grains and 27% starches.  I have played around with alternate flours including brown rice, millet, sweet white rice, and buckwheat, but oat, sorghum, and arrowroot are my favorite.  If you don’t own a scale, don’t fret.  I simply dump a bag of each of these into my mixer and whisk together to blend.  Of course I cannot take credit for this ingenious flour blend myself.  I had a little help from another blog post by Gluten Free Girl and the Chef.

     Be sure to check out recipes on the blog that include this flour.  If you are not gluten-free, try substituting whole wheat or whole white wheat flour.  I would love to hear if a recipe worked using the gluten alternative, since many of them were adapted from recipes that originally included a gluten flour.  


Ingredients
  • 22 ounces (624 grams) whole grain oat flour
  • 22 ounces (624 grams) sweet white sorghum flour
  • 16 ounces (454 grams) arrowroot starch

Directions
  1. Whisk together the oat flour, sorghum flour, and arrowroot starch.  Store in a large (5 pound capacity) container in the refrigerator.  Use in place of whole wheat flour or whole white wheat flour.  

Print this post

No comments:

Post a Comment